On Pakistani Muslims Living In US..
The clear answer is that I have decided to leave US preferably by the end of this year. My taxes are something that I have no control over. The government takes it at source and I have no political power to redirect their spending. The only option that I have is to address the conscience of American people and tell them that it is wrong to exterminate human life elsewhere in the world using this money. I am a law abiding citizen and tend to obey the law of the land. My disagreement with policies, however, is a different matter. I can disagree with a government in a democracy while still abiding by the law. Currently, I see no law, that directly effects me, which goes contrary to my system of beleifs. I stand clear of paying interest, don`t use my credit cards, except in dire needs, don`t mortgage, and give my interest earnings through my savings account to charities. I disagree with abortion policies and beleive in preservation of human life at all costs. I believe marriage is a union between man and women and any other arrangement is a sure recipe to disintegrate social structure of the society. But these are the things millions of other Americans also belive in.
As long as I am alone in US I do not feel much threatened. Heck, I have survived a civil war and ethnic cleansing in Karachi. It is not as bad as yet. But America is absolutely not a place anymore where to raise one`s family. And as the time goes by it is going to get worst for Muslims here than getting better. The change of government in November will have no bearing on American policies towards Muslim countries because the events in the past two and half years since 9/11 have set them on an irreversible course. Now thhere can only be two outcomes of this confrontation - either Americans will succeed, quash any and all resistance in the Muslim lands, and subjugate them completely thru their proxies or direct occupation or there is a chance that Americans will have to make huge sacrifices of their vested interests and grant Muslim lands the freedom from their clutches and equality that they long deserve. Either way the Americans will be bitter and unaccomodating for as long as my natural life goes and beyond. But currently Americans are losing morally and also militarily and they are becoming bitter. Just wait until this loss will start translating itself into economic terms. As the urdu proverb goes - If you keep spending even Qaroon`s treasure gets emptied - similarly all wars come with economic costs and global wars come with economic costs of global proportions.
In all honesty I want America to hold the torch of justice and equality in this world. And for that they will have to make sacrifices and take their glasses of prejudice and hatered off. It is a tall order but it has happened in history before. I don`t want America to go down in the history as an empire that lost to its own bigotry, greed, and hatered. The shred of hope that I have in America is quickly dwindeling away though. It is law of nature that what goes up must come down. And only if wishes were horses.....
Most preferably I will move to a Scandanevian country. The whole of Muslim world and especially Paksitan has been turned into Dar-al-Harb from where I escaped persecution in the first place. The place, in all those years, has gotten worst than getting better. Leaving one`s country - his own or adopted - is not an easy task for a human being in such short span of a life time. It took me decades to leave my own country of birth - the country that has ravaged me emotionally and physically and yet not a day goes by when my heart doesn`t ache remembering its dusty roads. Only God knows when this perpetual migration that I am cursed with, will end.
I am sorry but it can`t get any simpler than that, now can it?
(asad)

No comments:
Post a Comment